Monday, December 14, 2009

Since when are you an artist?

This is the question I keep hearing from people who've known me for a few years. You want the honest answer? The art thing kind of crept up and bit me, well, you know where. This past August, feeling a bit burned out from 2 years of running my website CultureSurfer.com, I decided to take a stab at doing some painting. I'd been around a good deal of art and artists over the past two years & the thought hit me that maybe I could create some decent art, at least decent enough to show and maybe even sell.

Off I went to the Ben Franklin and picked up about 4 bottles of cheap finger paint along with a few super cheap brushes and a few canvas boards. I went home and hit an old piece of poster board with the paints. Ick. I didn't like it. Neither did my husband. The whole thing just looked like mush. Not good. But I kept at it.



Time to hit one of the canvases. Suddenly, I found myself doing what I now refer to as "grown up finger painting," a process I now use in many of my works. What can I tell you? There is something very child-like in my personality that just relates to squirting paint out of a bottle and getting down and dirty with paint all over my hands. It's such a direct way to connect with the creative process. No brush as intermediary.


A few weeks later, BAM! Art show #1. I answered a post on Craigslist & within 2 days had 6 pieces of my art hanging at a wine bar out in St. Charles, Missouri. Cool. The show was up for a month and nothing sold but hey, it was a start.

NaomiSilverArt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment