Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mood Wall

This is my first series. The whole thing just popped into my head one day.  That's never happened before. Until this series, I'd just throw a blank canvas on the floor, and get some paint spread around, having no idea what the outcome will be. But with this, I knew I'd be doing 6 canvases in these specific colors. 
I was surprised at how long it took. Normally, I can finish a canvas in a few hours, so I expected the whole project would take a week.  But it took me two weeks. Painting the canvases was easy, but it took a surprising amount of energy. And then there were the sides of the canvases to deal with. 
I finished the paintings and then lined the paintings up in my hall. The unpainted sides of the canvases distracted my eye from the intense paint colors. I knew if I was bothered by the white, it would be the same for other people. So I painted the sides of each canvas, painstakingly wiping wet paint off the fronts of the canvases. What can I say? Live and learn. But at least I got the look I was going for. Color and nothing but.
So what's the point of this series? Color affects all of us, but how aware are we of this? The more I paint, the more color affects me. I love laying paint down on a canvas and then watching as the colors merge. It's fascinating and beautiful. I'll find myself staring at an ugly color on a wall or a piece of someone's clothing or car and subconsciously change it into something more pleasing in my mind. 
The mood wall takes your eye thought almost the entire spectrum (minus indigo). Let your eye settle on a color or colors. Maybe that color reflects you current mood (think mood ring), or maybe you need to look at a color that will calm or energize you. 

For more about the Mood Wall, click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment